Even abnormal can be boring
So, after finally figuring out how to get into my blog and posting again, I'm trying to think of what to post and I've come up with the big NOTHING. Two years have gone by, and I can't think of a single interesting thing to post.
We did have our sewer line replaced. That was an exciting (and expensive) time. Fortunately, we have (knock on wood) not had water spew out of our washing machine since the repairs. Of course, we now have to have our heating-oil tank and oil lines replaced, which means the plumber who installed the new sewer line (in front of the oil tank) will have to come out the day of the oil tank replacement to cut the new sewer line so the oil tank can be installed.
On day of said tank replacement, the local Dunkin' Donuts will be seeing a lot of me, as that is where I will be going to do potty business.
Since buying the house, we have managed to paint two rooms: the master bedroom and the dining room. We have had the house a little over 2 years now. So, I guess at the rate we're going, we should have the whole house painted by 2012. Mark your calendars for the open house! We have done a lot of other things, though...aforementioned sewer line repair for one, we installed one of them newfangled microwave/exhaust fan combination dealies above the stove in the kitchen (preventing the need for the exhaust fan mechanism the previous owner had slated to run through a shelf in one of the kitchen cabinets...not cool), we replaced the kitchen chandelier, my dad installed built-in bookshelves in the "loft" area at the top of our stairs, mucho yard work (removing tons of dead trees/branches that had been left to turn to mulch in the backyard), and just a couple of weeks ago we installed a door handle on the screen/storm door leading into our breezeway that actually LOCKS FROM THE OUTSIDE! The previous door only locked from the inside, which meant our breezeway was open to the public until a couple of weeks ago. Ordinarily, that would've been no big deal, but we have set up a storage cabinet in the breezeway for infrequently-used kitchen stuff and coats/scarves/whatnot that I didn't like leaving in the unlocked breezeway. Now, it's locked so no problem. Of course, I would not recommend to future owners of this property to remove said door handle mechanism...there are a number of holes drilled into the door that don't quite belong there...not my fault, I swear. You try and find a new door-handle mechanism that requires EXACTLY the same hole placement as the one you're replacing.
Actually, now that I look back at the list of things we've done in the house, it's not all that impressive. But, hubby and I take our time and make sure we're making choices in home repair/decoration that we're both going to be happy with. We didn't know what color we'd want the rooms until we had the furniture we wanted, and it took us a long time to find the right couch, dining room set, and so on. Once we had those, we had to decide the colors...rugs, walls, artwork. Oh, it's exhausting! Ok, I admit it. We're just lazy. No, that's not right, either. I'm still struggling with my health issues, and hubby also has a thyroid problem. We want to fit in "free" time as well...sitting and enjoying our deck in the summer, going to movies, going out with friends, visiting family, taking vacations...and just relaxing. A two-day weekend is just not enough, and with hubby working many Saturdays until nearly 1pm, it's difficult to get a lot done. Plus, weekend mean grocery shopping, prepping food for the week, laundry, cleaning...how the heck can a person paint a house with all that?!
That being said, hopefully we'll get the living room painted next month, when hubby has Saturdays off for once...
Of course, those Saturdays off mean we'll probably take a weekend to drive upstate to visit the fam, and one weekend the fam is planning on coming down to help us clear the yard of aforementioned dead trees...
Wow. I think I proved my original point. I've got absolutely nothing to blog about.
We did have our sewer line replaced. That was an exciting (and expensive) time. Fortunately, we have (knock on wood) not had water spew out of our washing machine since the repairs. Of course, we now have to have our heating-oil tank and oil lines replaced, which means the plumber who installed the new sewer line (in front of the oil tank) will have to come out the day of the oil tank replacement to cut the new sewer line so the oil tank can be installed.
On day of said tank replacement, the local Dunkin' Donuts will be seeing a lot of me, as that is where I will be going to do potty business.
Since buying the house, we have managed to paint two rooms: the master bedroom and the dining room. We have had the house a little over 2 years now. So, I guess at the rate we're going, we should have the whole house painted by 2012. Mark your calendars for the open house! We have done a lot of other things, though...aforementioned sewer line repair for one, we installed one of them newfangled microwave/exhaust fan combination dealies above the stove in the kitchen (preventing the need for the exhaust fan mechanism the previous owner had slated to run through a shelf in one of the kitchen cabinets...not cool), we replaced the kitchen chandelier, my dad installed built-in bookshelves in the "loft" area at the top of our stairs, mucho yard work (removing tons of dead trees/branches that had been left to turn to mulch in the backyard), and just a couple of weeks ago we installed a door handle on the screen/storm door leading into our breezeway that actually LOCKS FROM THE OUTSIDE! The previous door only locked from the inside, which meant our breezeway was open to the public until a couple of weeks ago. Ordinarily, that would've been no big deal, but we have set up a storage cabinet in the breezeway for infrequently-used kitchen stuff and coats/scarves/whatnot that I didn't like leaving in the unlocked breezeway. Now, it's locked so no problem. Of course, I would not recommend to future owners of this property to remove said door handle mechanism...there are a number of holes drilled into the door that don't quite belong there...not my fault, I swear. You try and find a new door-handle mechanism that requires EXACTLY the same hole placement as the one you're replacing.
Actually, now that I look back at the list of things we've done in the house, it's not all that impressive. But, hubby and I take our time and make sure we're making choices in home repair/decoration that we're both going to be happy with. We didn't know what color we'd want the rooms until we had the furniture we wanted, and it took us a long time to find the right couch, dining room set, and so on. Once we had those, we had to decide the colors...rugs, walls, artwork. Oh, it's exhausting! Ok, I admit it. We're just lazy. No, that's not right, either. I'm still struggling with my health issues, and hubby also has a thyroid problem. We want to fit in "free" time as well...sitting and enjoying our deck in the summer, going to movies, going out with friends, visiting family, taking vacations...and just relaxing. A two-day weekend is just not enough, and with hubby working many Saturdays until nearly 1pm, it's difficult to get a lot done. Plus, weekend mean grocery shopping, prepping food for the week, laundry, cleaning...how the heck can a person paint a house with all that?!
That being said, hopefully we'll get the living room painted next month, when hubby has Saturdays off for once...
Of course, those Saturdays off mean we'll probably take a weekend to drive upstate to visit the fam, and one weekend the fam is planning on coming down to help us clear the yard of aforementioned dead trees...
Wow. I think I proved my original point. I've got absolutely nothing to blog about.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home